Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How I Chose my PLC DownLights

Hi, all. I hope my post here will help to illuminate those who are new to finding PLC downlights.

Ok, contrary to my usual rambling style, here's what I finally got.

Each PLC downlight has (1) 2 X 13W sockets for the PLC tubes and (2) The ballasts are not from China, in this case, after scouring Jalan Besar to Balestier, I got them with ATCO (made in Australia) ballasts.

Why 2 X 13W? Mind you, even though our HDB flat is small, the "downlight" as the name suggests, casts a downward light with a certain spread of angle outwards from the centre. So, that's why in false ceilings or light-boxes, you see a row of 3's or 4's. So, you need 2 tubes to be sure that there is enough light. If you find it too bright, at least you have the option to unscrew one (13W only) or replace with 2 X 10W light. Also, since you usually have the glass sandblasted or with a piece of frosted film to disperse the light so that it is not too harsh to look at, you do need certain level of brightness.Note that in my selection, I chose these little angels with halos because they've got a clear glass border that "leaks" more light and you will see it like a halo effect. Most of the normal ones have plain white borders so you can only count on the light coming out from the centre part of the glass panel.

Finally, I also made sure that the PLC light holder has a good amount of reflective surface inside.

Let there be light!

P.S. At request of "My BB", here's a picture of the PLC downlights switched off on the left. Sorry for blurry image, I took the photos when I came home at night and I only switched on a neighbouring LED light to illuminate it.

3 comments:

  1. I like the downlights with the halos effects. I would to have the same downlight for my new house.

    May i know this is 4 inches or 6 inches downlight?

    Could you send me a photo of this downlight with casing and light off. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, these are 6 inches downlights. Thanks for your comments. Let me see if I could take the photos later when I am home at night. If you go to Radson, let me know if they still have it - its been almost 2 months since I went back to get new lights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, can you share which shop you got these downlights? is there a LED version?

    ReplyDelete